View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 10:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Oops! Caught skimming!

I need to provide a little more explanation for my response, which I still stand by. First, Carey, I think the article is a great promoter of listening to the patient. If scientists had done so over the last 40+ years since levodopa was discovered to help control PD symptoms, we might be onto something.

Vicki -(or Vicky) I did not mean to sound so sinister and definitely did not mean there is no hope ever for a cure for PD. I was addressing those of us who have had this disease for 10+ years. . The suggestion that through Sergey's work we might be able to escape PD are wishful thinking, in my opinion. And your 100-yr-old man probably did have Parkinson's; he was just asymptomatic. In other words the aging process went on in his brain like all of us, but he had some reason that his 75% neuron loss didn't make his symptoms revealed.

I have to go with Andy Grove on this one. We DO have to have something we're looking for - and like I said, a way to positively identify that one has PD is a good start. There is too much variation in PD patients foro it not to be a collection of neurological illnesses. And although Sergey's information collected might show patterns and whatnot, I don't think his way will be the route to the cure.

Let's be realistic about those of us with "seasoned" Parkinson's. The way the FDA is working now and the way "cures" are being marketed and commercialized by big pharma today, those of us with advanced PD (10+ years) cannot expect a cure soon. But I commend those who will die trying - it may be better for future generations.
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bandido1 (06-27-2010), lindylanka (06-24-2010)