Thread: Mestinon
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 08:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hope,

You sound very much like I did 1 year ago. I don't like to take medication of any kind. Have always thought my body was better off without 'chemicals'.

Anyway, I was told to start Mestinon at 30 mg every 4 'waking' hours. So I filled the 'script' and left the bottle on the shelf for awhile. But there was no change in how I felt!! (lol)

Finally I dicided I would take 15 mg every 4 hours - - nice improvement, but not 'normal'.
So, after a couple of months, I began 15 every 3 hours...better. Then 30 mg every 4 hours, and a few months ago - I swallowed my first 60 mg in one dose!!

Long story short, I am very comfortable now with Mestinon - what it does for me, how much and when to take etc. Yesterday was a 150 mg day (and I played 18 holes of golf in pretty hot weather!) Today, I'm tired and a little 'heavy' and was anxious to take my first pill of the day. Tomorrow I may not have to take a pill until after shower and breakfast. Who knows....and why worry about it.

Hope, you'll find the right combination of docs, meds, and activity. With my neuro's guidance, I take a 'baseline' dosage every day and then a 'booster' dose depending on the activity (like golf) I do. This seems to work best for me - but my neuro and I have worked together to get to this solution.

Taking Mestinon isn't 'giving in' to your MG, it's taking your life back from MG.

As for side effects, I have none except for occasional eye twitching. I can feel when it kicks in (in the beginning this feeling scared me ... but now I welcome it). I'm not as aware of it wearing off - that is until my coffee cup gets heavy!!

As for having kids? Ask your doc. While every case is unique, many women with MG have kids.

Sue
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
wondergirl (07-23-2010)