View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Vicki

I assume you know that I meant that one had been diagnosed 10+ years. One thing on a very positive note is that if you are diagnosed with young onset PD (before age 40-50), then almost always it is a slowly progressing type of disease. You can live a full life (with proper treatment) for a long-long time. This is especially true if you are started on an agonist of MAO-I such as Azilect.
The wonder drug, Sinemet (generic name carbidopa/levodopa) starts causing bad side effects after 5-10 years (dyskinesia, onn/off problems, etc). Unfortunately, I was dx when they wrote you an Rx for 50/200 Sinemet on your first visit and said "Take it every 3-4 hours)!

Needless to say, I am plagued with dyskinesia, but there are ways to take care of that (Amantadine - which I cannot take - and DBS surgery).

It is truly a promising future for PWP who have been diagnosed within the last decade because of what they now know. And that is where Sergey's work can really come to play as a positive in search of a cure.

How are you doing anyway, Vicki? You can send a private message if you don't want to say anything here.
peggy

Last edited by pegleg; 06-24-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: fingers with a mind of their own!
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
violet green (06-29-2010)