View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 10:15 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Shalynn,
I was started on Mestinon several months ago after 7 years of double vision (and a few other symptoms). A neurologist prescribed it to me after an inconclusive Tensilon test. Since taking the Mestinon, I have noticed a mild and temporary improvement in my double vision.

As with Abby, my neurologist is hesistant to prescribe steroids without a conclusive diagnosis. I was recently evaluated at Mayo Clinic. Tensilon test was positive; however, SFEMG was negative. So the picture is still not clear, but they advised to continue the Mestinon for right now.

I'm not sure if an ophthalmologist can prescribe Mestinon. The ophthalmologist I saw recently was suspicious of MG (even tho tests several years back were all negative), so referred me to the neurologist I am seeing now.

Can your eye doctor speak with your neurologist directly and recommend trialing you on Mestinon? Or refer you to a neurologist who would consider this option? Mestinon is considered a safe drug. You would know fairly soon after starting to take it if you see any improvement.

Good luck to you. It's been a long journey for you and I hope you get some answers soon.
Cate
catie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote