View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 02:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks to all of you for your help during this time I need ya the most. As always you guys always help me when I don't know what to do. I guess I did not give you all enough info. about my situation. I have been on Fentanyl 25 mcg for over five years now. I had my other neurologist whom I see every month (and Dr. S every 6 months) and she told me to let the patch just fall off and I will be done with it. I looked at her like she had two heads and said "Are you crazy?" I knew I needed a lower dosage of Opiods until it was almost gone and she said I would be fine. So, I waited until the patch wore off and lasted 10 days until I thought I was going to die. The withdrawls were so horrible I realized how desperate people must get going off drugs when they are hooked. I could not take it any longer and tried to get my primary doc to help and it was a weekend so I could not get him and went to theER where the doc there told me I was in withdrawl and to put the patch back on. I was devastated since I was trying to get off them and not back on it. I went back to the doc and she said I should go four days and then change the patch, then five, etc... I am trying that now and have gotten to the fourth day before I have to change it from withdrawl and pain. I called Dr. S office and they suggested using Neurontin(or Lyrica) three times a day along with Ibuprophen three times a day and Cymbalta once at night and that should help me get off the Fentanyl. I tried Cymbalta for 8 days and it was horrible stuff. I had increased pain all around, severe nausea, could not eat, could not sleep, etc...I could not move off my bed for 8 days and stopped taking it cause of the severe side effects. I am so much better off of it. So now I have to try the Neurontin which I did years ago along with Cymbalta and had the same affect as I had two weeks ago. I just cannot take that stuff. I had asked my doc about Suboxone and she said no cause it messes up your mind. My mind is already a mess I thought. She is clueless to how to get off the Fentanyl. I am at a loss myself now. I will try the Neurontin in two weeks again to see what happens. I have to see Dr. S beginning of August too. I am so frustrated because I can't get off the Fentanyl due to severe pain I have from RSD and withdrawl pain. My pain like others is better in the summer so I am trying to do all this in the summer as the winter I am a mess and can barely do anything. I think I need to switch to oral opiods (like the ER doc said) and taper off them in 2-3 months and then be ready for KEtamine (if the judge approves it). I just hate taking any medicine. I never even took Tylenol before this stuff happened. Any ideas? I guess I will try the Neurontin and then see Dr. S in August. Thanks all for your help. You guys are the best.
kathy d
kathy d is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kakimbo (07-01-2010)