View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 05:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

If you don't mind me asking, what are some of your symptoms?

Hi, Shalynn. I'm not going to be very helpful here, because my symptoms are so atypical that the doctor doesn't think I even have MG. I tested negative for all three antibodies (AChR and MuSK, and the antibodies that cause Lambert-Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome). My SFEMG is mildly abnormal.

My only severe symptom is weak truncal/back muscles, so that I have trouble holding myself upright from the waist up as I walk or stand. I tilt from side to side. I also have mild weakness in my arms and sometimes in my legs. I was having trouble with weakness in my neck muscles, but that's improved. I had some brief trouble with double vision, and trouble swallowing a few times. No drooping eyelids. I can chew gum all day.

I still think it's MG because first of all, it's extremely fatiguable. It hits me in the late afternoon and late evening the worst. It goes away when I rest. I feel normal a lot of mornings. The Mestinon seems to be helping me a lot. And my CK levels are normal (that's an enzyme that muscles release when they're breaking down--normal CK levels rule out most kinds of muscular dystrophy).

I may have congenital myasthenic syndrome, which isn't an auto-immune disease--it means you're born with too few neuroreceptors (at least that's one kind). But I'm much too old (44) for that to be likely. CMS usually shows up in infancy, though it can manifest itself as last as age 30.

By the way--I've given these facts with some confidence, but I've gotten these things wrong before, so I hope someone will correct me if I'm mixed up.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote