View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

I have arthritis and PN. My PN was metabolically induced by low thyroid functions. It started when I was 30 and way before my son came along. It resolved about 80% with thyroid hormone replacement. Then I aged more and went thru the menopause and insulin resistance started. (this is a prediabetic condition where glucose tolerance is upset, but high blood sugars do not occur).

So far you do sound like a PNer. But RSD and PN can go together.

Arthritis pain in the feet can be managed, with topical interventions. I like Biofreeze gel, for that, and Salonpas patches.

Also dietary things can make burning worse. MSG in processed and restaurant foods, is one culprit. Highly spiced food, will also set me off. And after much elimination diet exploration, I found that potatoes (from the nightshade family which includes tomatoes) will do it. I only eat fresh tomatoes and sauces that are not highly concentrated or spiced, like Bertolli.

Our PN forum is starting informational posts and you might take a look:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread121516.html
That subforum here also has
supplements
drugs that may cause PN
and other references about testing and diagnosis

RSD typically has color changes in the affected areas, swelling, heavy sweating, and other symptoms related to poor circulation to the tissues. They are intolerant of cold. PNers may have some circulation issues, but typically cold feels better. We have more tingling/numbness than RSDers do. RSD affects the sympathetic nervous system predominately, and PN affected sensory nerves mostly. (it may spread to the autonomic system and affect digestion, and blood pressure in some people). Severe fast progressing PN or hereditary types will involve motor tracts and affect movement, but not all PNs do this.

So please look around our forum and do some reading. Our forum is very busy and there are lots of posts, and some people have not returned over the years, but their posts remain to help all who visit there.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dubious (06-26-2010), Rrae (06-26-2010)