View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 10:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) and Dystonia

I have seen a lot of posting relating to people's experiences with Social security, disability, etc. My question relates to use of FMLA. A number of people for the agency I work for (it is a state agency with appx 5,000 people) have filed paperwork and been approved for Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) benefits. Most of them have been for illness of a family member (to care for them, take them to appts, etc). I would like to know if anyone has had experience with FMLA due to their own struggles with dystonia. I have Spasmodic Torticollis, and for 5 years have been receiving Botox, which worked well to control symptoms. Within the past year or so, the Dr has had to keep increasing the dosage and it wears off after about 2 months. Botox is working very little and they have had me on Tramadol since October for neck pain. I have also been on Fioricet since January for tension headache. Between the two, I am somedays finding myself at work in moderate to severe neck pain. Where, like most of us here, I don't have frequent neurologist appointments, would it be an approved use of FMLA to be able to just take intermittent time off and remain at home during periods of severe pain? I ask because otherwise, they are very strict at requiring doctor's notes after taking more than a total of 5 sick days a year without one. I would appreciate any input. Sorry for the lengthy post.
nhtom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote