View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 07:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default bluedalhia & Rick

Quoting bluedalhia:
Sad that I'm looking forward to having holes drilled into my skull. But I have no choice as I can't live like this anymore. The dyskinesias are totally exhausting me.

Best to you on your DBS!

Rick:

I believe you could have written this book:
Deep In The Brain is a cerebral self-examination written by a philosophy professor who was riding the top of a success wave when he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s.
In this book, Helmut Dubiel analyses his response to the personal and social implications of his Parkinson’s disease. He does not blame or excuse. Rather, he tries to put his and other’s reactions in context of the overarching laws of social interaction

This sounds like a book I want to read! Review comments by Marty D:

I’ve often asked people, “Which would you prefer: to lose your body or to lose your mind?” Given that I live with one parent with Alzheimer’s and the other with Parkinson’s, this question has personal weight. In his book, Professor Dubiel clearly expresses his preference for holding onto the self despite the ostracism brought on by the physical distortions of Parkinson’s. Knowing you are being unfairly rejected is still preferable to knowing nothing at all. On the other side, in Still Alice the protagonist affirms this appreciation for the self when–in a lucid moment–she acknowledges “I didn’t meant to get this way. I miss myself.” The mind is a far greater gift than the body.
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bandido1 (06-29-2010), indigogo (06-27-2010), lindylanka (06-27-2010)