View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 02:35 PM
visitor

15 yr Member
visitor

15 yr Member
Default Bryanna, need advice about back molar

Hi Bryanna, you helped me through an ordeal last year and hoping you can answer a question. I had tooth 29 and 30 extracted several years ago due to bone loss, they were loose. Now 31 has become sensitive to cold and it has a large old amalgam filling. I see a crack but the dentist wasn't concerned as it doesn't seem to go down far. He told me to use Gel-Kam and Sensodyne but it is not helping.

I know that you are not an advocate of root canals but he says he can't use a sealant because he doesn't so them on the part near the gum (just on the top of the tooth). If I have the tooth extracted, there will be nothing there to oppose the upper teeth. He hasn't offered me a solution and I am getting really angry about this. I hit the ceiling with even a piece of cheese from the refrigerator, but it's only for a second so I am not sure if it warrants a root canal.

Would crowning the tooth ever help? It seems that they'd have to drill more away and I don't know if this will worsen the sensitivity. I am also afraid of extracting because I have a horizontally impacted wisdom tooth so close to it and I wonder if this can mess that up. They don't want to ever touch that as long as it never gave me a problem. I am in my sixties and it's been ok...and I know that it should have been removed when I was young.

Is there any treatment that can make this sensitivity go away? I can't see spending the rest of my life like this. I know I asked a lot of questions but would so appreciate your advice on each one. I'm a nervous wreck over this. Also, if I DID get a root canal and ever decide to get a fixed bridge, tooth 28 is also root canaled so with 2 root canaled teeth as an anchor...just doesn't sound strong enough. I can't get implants, neurologist doesn't want me to, so not an option. Thanks.
sandy60 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote