View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 09:33 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

And, finally, the NYT article Laura mentioned
http://health.nytimes.com/health/gui.../overview.html

This is what I suspect that I have had for a minimum of five years. And for a number of reasons, I think that it may be something that PWP may tend to develop as they "progress." As such, it would behoove us to be aware of the possibility.

It results from an overly active thyroid. This sort of thyroid condition can exist in a sub-clinical state for decades and then "bloom" in response to extreme emotional stress. You may recall my recent posts about the stress of the tree removal around my home. That was the culmination of a six-month period of high stress and drug on for six weeks or more. I developed some new symptoms and had old ones amplified. Among the most obvious were three times that I collapsed in the floor and could not move for two to three hours. Another was a near panic attack when I thought the machinery was starting up early and I was trapped. I also developed a marginal increase in body temperature, hot flashes, increased sweating, headache, and blood pressure fluctuations. All this pointed toward thyroid problems tied to the stress onslaught. Of the symptoms listed in the NYT piece for both the hyperthyroid and the thyrotoxic periodic paralysis, I had 80% of them. While you may not have them today, a year from now you might. So keep it in mind.

My problem turned out to be a blessing, however. Unlike PD, this particular periodic paralysis can be treated by means of treating the underlying thyroid problem. According to the sparse research available, when both PD and hyperthyroid are present, treating the latter produces big improvement in the former.

Before I rushed off to another doc, however. I decided to do some research to see if there was something I might try on my own. As it turned out, there was, and I was already taking it in a smaller dose.

Acetyl-L-Carnitine does many things, including damping down an over-active thyroid and it seems to be working. A week ago today I was nearly helpless the entire day. Today I am doing well.

I'm not sure what to make of this. If PWP do tend to develop this sort of problem as time goes on, then it may be a sub-clinical factor from Day One. If so, there should be value in taking ALC now.

Even if my hunch is wrong, however, there is still reason to look at ALC. In addition to having an excellent safety profile, it also has other benefits:

"L-Carnitine
is an essential co-factor in the metabolism of lipids and consequently in the production of cellular energy. This molecule has important physiological roles, including its involvement in the beta-oxidation of fatty acids by facilitating the transport of long-chain fatty acids across the mitochondrial inner membrane as acylcarnitine esters. In the brain, L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine have important roles in cerebral bioenergetics and in neuroprotection through a variety of mechanisms including their antioxidant properties and in the modulation and promotion of synaptic neurotransmission, most notably cholinergic neurotransmission. "
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote