View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Even more ties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post

L-type calcium channels (LTCC) are voltage-gated calcium channels that are found in

1. The central nervous system - LTCC are important in the regulation of nerve cell development.

2. The immune system - LTCC are important in the function of white cells including regulatory T-cells TREGS which control immune system

3. Gastro-intestinal tract - LTCC are related to activity and inflammation of the stomach, intestines and pancreas."
Rick, bingo! This is huge as it essentially links major things we know thay are going on from researchers' perspective but that is fragmented by very nature of the reductive approach used in science and medicine. I find the link to the gut especially interesting; I am seeing how PD seems most definitely part channelopathy, and I see how we might apply this info in light of Braak's staging. I remember reading that in parathyroidism, people may experience anosmia? Well, I just looked up vagus nerve and sure enough- neurotransmitters in the olfactory area rely on L type Calcium Channels.

My next question is when do our dopa neurons change from ion to calcium channels and is this change a pivotal point or the stress point from exogenous triggers that result in PD? Or can this change take place at any time? Hmmm…where are our scientist members?

Will read the excellent channelopathy info you shared when I can (little one must be sleeping)- just had time to skim so far

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote