View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 07:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Surgery - wait/proceed?

Okay , need some input please ! Along with RSD I have a cardiac issue that is going to require surgery at some point . I have a valve that will most likely need replacing and the aorta will need replacing where it comes out of the heart . Here is where it gets complicated........if the valve needs replacing (will not know until in surgery) the two types are artificial or mechanical , the pros/cons with the valve is the mechanical requires lifetime blood thinners , artificial has replacement at aprox. 10 yrs . Pros/cons with the aorta is a little tougher as their is little wiggle room with it , if it bursts (I) you are done . The measurements for surgery are all right on the border and the argument could be made either way for waiting or proceeding . The things that have me scared the possibility of spread of the RSD with open heart surgery and of course the thought of the aorta bursting . And they say to keep your anxiety level down ! Yeah , right ! I have my first grandchild , who will be two in October and I want to watch her grow up....I realize only I can make this decision with the information forwarded to me and talking with my family and prayer . I do not think it would be as tough as a decision without the RSD . Any fellow RSD friends who have faced a similar situation ? Hope all are well , take care !
RUReady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote