View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Ok, so no other missing teeth on the bottom. Are there any teeth in the mandible that are not in good health and bordering on removal? I ask this because sometimes it's best to re-evaluate the entire mouth before doing any dental work that will be costly as there may be another option that will cost less in the long run if everything is taken care of at the same time. Do you know what I mean?

Drilling away more of #31 will not increase the sensitivity so long as the fabricated crown fits properly. There is a base/liner that can be applied to the filed down tooth called Vitrebond that can be applied which can help reduce or eliminate sensitivity. Covering an exposed root surface can be difficult depending on where it is. Sometimes the gum needs to be lowered.... this is called a crown lengthening procedure. It allows more tooth structure to be exposed so the crown can cover it better. However, sometimes this procedure alone can cause root sensitivity. I know... oy vey... what's the best solution here!!!

You make a good point about the removal of #3... see that's why I say, it's best to re-evaluate the entire mouth before undergoing any expensive, time consuming dental work. Generally #3 lines up with #30 but since your #30 is gone, there may have been some shifting in the lower jaw and it may be lining up somewhat with #31. Do you still have #1 and 2 on the upper right?
If tooth #31 is not lining up with anything or let's say with any tooth that has a long term healthy prognosis, then you do not need to go to any extremes to keep #31 because you wouldn't be using it for any chewing purposes. However, you would need to have that area evaluated for extraction by an oral surgeon because of the impacted wisdom tooth #32. If you do have healthy opposing teeth to chew against in the right upper quadrant, then either a crown on #31 or perhaps a large composite filling could be done. That depends on how much tooth structure is actually left and how much is already amalgam filling because you need adequate tooth structure to put any filling (other than a crown) on the tooth.

I hope this is not too difficult to follow... let me know if you need any clarification :-))

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy60 View Post
I am not missing any other lower teeth. I don't really want a partial because nobody can see the two teeth missing. I am going to get a second opinion but wonder if by drilling more tooth away to get a crown, can that increase the sensitivity or do they put something inside the crown to prevent this? One more question...the opposing tooth, #3, may eventually have to come out...I am having this evaluated but would it make sense to crown 32 if it has no opposing tooth? I mean, what purpose would it then serve? Thanks so much once again.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote