Thread: Mestinon
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 10:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I just wanted to add my two cents into this thread. Mestinon is in a class of drugs called ACE inhibitors Where ACE stands for AcetylCholine Esterase (in biological systems "Esterase" means to degrade/breakdown" and therefore ACE is an antibody that breaks down Acetylcholine) And as we know Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter for our muscles. So ACE inhibitors like mestinon help prevent the breakdown of acetylcholine and allow it to remain in the neuromuscular juction to allow for "normal" firing of muscles.

There have been a few mouse studies that show that mestinon can permanently change receptors "in Mice" and this has never been observed in humans.

It is not recomended in pregnant women but it has been used and documented, "keep in mind that no drug companies will ever directly perform clinical dosing on pregnant women" so all data is based on singular case studies and is highly individual. Use while pregnant should be done only under direct medical consultation... keep in mind that there are alternatives for treatment while pregnant such as IVIg (Aso used for women who have spontaneous abortions).

I wish you the best of luck in your choice of treatment. I use mestinon and it works well for me but I do get stomach issues. Also keeping it circulating in my system is hard so I do get dips in strength. It is a great drug for those of us with steroid resistant MG
Aw3sk3r is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
wondergirl (07-23-2010)