View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Sandy,

There really isn't any type of sealant that can be used to cure your type of cold sensitivity. If the problem was occuring from slight recession, then a desensitizing material could be applied. However, from all that you have shared here, I think your temperature sensitivity is caused by several factors.

Since you are missing the top opposing teeth #'s 1 and 2, then #31 is taking a beating when you are chewing because it doesn't have any direct support to chew against. The fact that #'s 3,4 and 5 are splinted together indicates that there is some moderate degree of periodontal disease and bone loss. If any of those upper teeth are also root canaled, then the long term prognosis for these teeth is not so good.

I'm curious to see what the ENT has to say about your pain in the upper right area. Hopefully you will remember to tell him about their dental history, especially the root canals. ENT drs very often see the complications that occur in the sinus cavity from teeth that have periodontal disease and/or have been root canaled. So hopefully your ENT dr is familiar with these issues and can give you some definitive answers.

Please let me know what the dr says..... ;-)

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy60 View Post
No clarification...you explained it really well. Nope, I don't have 1 or 2 anymore. 2 was taken out last year and 3, 4 and 5 are covered by one long crown (looks like 3 but all attached for stability about 25 years ago). I am going to an ENT tomorrow to see why I have pain in those teeth, if it is sinus related or if 4 and 5 are just old root canals that are not serving me well anymore, which dentist says leave alone....but I know your thoughts on that. In other words, my teeth are a mess.

You made an interesting point about 31 taking a lot of stress...I do clench, I wake up feeling this so this may account for the soreness on top when I wake up...because it isn't just on tooth 5, but 3, 4 and 5. And the clenching could be what all of a sudden is making 31 so sensitive to cold. Thanks for the info on how they do a crown to prevent sensitivity. It's VERY scary for me to think of anything happening to the wisdom teeth on the bottom as they have explained this to me so many times, paresthesia and everything else that can go wrong. Is there no sealant they can use rather than having a crown for 31? I went through so much in my 30s, crowns, root canals but at this "older" age, I am terrified.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote