View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 08:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Mary, it is possible to get neuropathy at even prediabetic levels, I am one that did, not only the higher than normal sugars affect the nerves but also the lows also can do damage, its weird though some diabetics that don't even look after themselves don't get nerve damage but others do.

If she is diabetic 2 and taken Metformin for her sugar levels then it is wise to supplement with B12 methylcobalamin [1 - 5 mg daily ] as metformin is known to deplete b12 levels which is critical for nerve health, B12 defiency can also cause neuropathy.

Supplements that have proven to help diabetic neuropathy are alpha lipioc acid 600 mg daily or the newer version R - lipoic acid 100 mg daily, also GLA [ gamma-linolenic acid ] at 480 mg daily, it is found in evening primrose oil, I also found Vitamin B1 helpfull, there is another very strong B1 called Benfotiamine, is a fat-soluble form of vitamin B1 that gets some good reports too.

Neuropathy can come from the spine, usually the lower spine problems can affect the lower extremities and the cervical spine affects the arms/hands, the progression of diabetic neuropathy is normally the feet then legs then hands.

I am sure others here will chime in and tell you what meds help them the most, Trammadol and endep help me the most when i needed them, but everyone is not the same, meds are an individual thing.

Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
glenntaj (07-01-2010), mrsD (06-30-2010)