View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

hi ~ i hate to say this, but all too often after fusion OR just regular spinal surgery, the areas above and below the area operated on fail because they have to pick up the slack. For instance let's say C4-5 is operated on. Part of that disc is removed. They can't take all of it or it will be bone on bone. ok, so that area is now very weak, and the areas above and below must bear more of the weight to make up the difference of what C4-5 can't bear. Trouble is, after a time, those areas above and below are going to get 'tired' and they are going to fail too because they can't keep taking the extra weight. so they are going to herniate too. this keeps happening as long as the person keeps having .surgery.

doctors keep recommending surgery because patients keep saying yes. then they get their exhorbitant fees. wonderful, huh? if I were you, i'd get at least 2 more independent opinions, and see what they say. even if one of them says no surgery, i'd take his answer. then i'd go into pain management, and use a more conservative method for pain for as long as i could.

as long as your spinal cord is NOT being compromised, you're ok. if it is, then you. NEED surgery best of luck and god bless. hugs, lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote