Thread: N-a-c
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Shelley, Ms L and others,
This is interesting to me as i have been medically prescribed a supplement containing NAC as anti-oxidants for treatment of impaired liver function with symptoms of chemical sensitivities. I also was diagnosed with pre-diabetes (which also leads to liver damage).

I was told, as an aside at the time, (5 years ago) that a compromised liver is associated with hot 'flushes' (I'm from Oz) and actually found that whilst taking the supplement the frequency and duration of flushes improved.

I then deducted that any liver stress was linked to flushes and I found I could predictably cause flushes by having (my)stressor foods - sugars /dairy products especially. NAC is beneficial to the liver and as the liver detoxes excesses of all manner - including hormones - you may have actually needed more! (And maybe need to address emotional reactions too?)

Glutathione is manufactured in the body according to need, and so needs appropriate nutrient to be available too. PS I am still taking the supplement but only at 30% prescribed level as it is too expensive for me even though I ship it more cheaply from US.

Re the allergy query it makes sense too, to involve NAC/glutathione as the liver is working hard at detoxing these conditions also. Help the liver further by avoiding sugar and HFCS products as current research is showing the fructose in these is causing fatty liver and more AND interesting again Vit C is able to moderate this effect!

Hope this is useful to you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslday View Post
Hi Shelly,

I tried a 3 month course of it last year. I started it after reading a study out of the Netherlands that indicated that it could be beneficial for people who have "cold" RSD which I have. I did find that I responded well to it and felt that I was more tolerant of cold drafts and temperatures.

The only reason I stopped was because I'm at that point in mid life and I started to suffer from what felt like very extreme frequent hot flashes. I don't think it was related to the NAC rather just that my hormones were quite unbalanced with the onset of menopause.

Hope that helps.

MsL
EarthGirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mslday (07-08-2010)