View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 02:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

..this is a pd forum. not all here are Christians....
The only thing we have in common is Parkinson's Disease. When I joined here, I was gung-ho in favor of Mirapex and I thought that the Pharma companies were spotless clean scientists working for the betterment of mankind, and I stayed away from this site at times because it seemed to be full of unrepentent hippies who were promoting herbal tea and meditation and even exercise, when I knew that the problem was chemicals in the brain and the solution was to put more chemicals in the brain. It was like two different religions. I changed a lot of my opinions after reading what was said here. But personally, the only thing that has worked for me really well is the Continuum Movement, which to some others seems like some crazy made-up magic; but which I experience as a life-saving anchor. And I do encourage people to go have a look at some of the mind plus body plus spirit therapies that work wonders for many, so that may seem like proselytizing; whereas other people religiously believe in science, and try to persuade or require that nothing can be tried except "evidence-based medicine", which means Big Pharma only - and then I see their methods, and they don't have much evidence at all; but they have a quasi-religious belief that if a scientist said it, it has to be the only pathway to enlightenment, and everybody else is a quack.
So the only thing we all have in common on this site is PD. Everything else, we've got all kinds of people here, and every kind; and if it weren't for PD, we would not have anything to do with each other at all. So I don't want to go to another site and talk to a bunch of religious people. I want to talk with some Parkies. And they, and I, all bring with us our ideas and prejudices and wrong-headed beliefs and baggage and hope and fear.
And yes, I have become more religious, but it does not come from the religious recruiters. My changed sense of the world started with PD. The only thing we all have
Bob Dawson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote