View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Oh, I know this feeling... I don't have PD but I am very unstable now while gardening.

I use a hiking pole now for any bending to balance me. These are light weight poles that will take some pressure, and they have a rubber tip (that is the only way I use them).

I originally got mine for winter, as we live on a steep hill and there are many stairs to get down to the cars.
This year I expanded my pole to yard work and walking long distances and it has been my savior. I have PN in my feet and sometimes have been known to fall too. The last one was devastating to the tendons in my hip and the PT said...another fall would tear the tendon OFF ...so I started with the pole.

There are many upscale poles out there, for upscale prices. I use a cheap one I found at Dunham's sporting goods, for $15 and have used it quite a bit over the last 3 or so years. When shopping with a push basket at stores I don't use it.

What is also nice is that unlike a cane, people don't stare as much at you. Hubby thinks this is because it is rather in vogue and European looking since they use them commonly over there. LOL I find the pole much easier on my hands, and very useful for bending over in the garden, and helpful for getting upright again. The pole is really wonderful for use on stairs. No more bending over with a cane. The pole is long and you can use it as a tripod going down much more easily.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BUZZZ (07-06-2010), DVORA65 (08-13-2011), vertigo (07-03-2010)