Thread: Struggling
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 07:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Book Only the living struggle

redtail,

You don't know me, as I am usually on another forum here at NeuroTalk. Suffice it to say I have a chronic degenerative illness which is taking a lot from me physically and mentally, but has given me a lot of spiritual opportunities.

I was led here today for other reasons, but I noticed your thread title, and I feel I have something to contribute to the discussion, namely, that I have come to see my own struggles as something that keeps me vital and in touch with the rest of humanity. I was addressing my beloved Deity recently with a whole list of complaints and sorrows--that I was only getting worse, that I will never recover, that I will become immobile, that I had to give up driving and may in a few years have to give up walking. I cried, I pleaded, but still had to struggle to get dressed to go to the doctor. "Everything worth doing is a struggle!," I shouted.

Then it was as if a still, small voice spoke to my heart. It said, "So struggle!"

My tears stopped. I woke up to myself and what I was doing. I was adding misery and anguish to the world, just because I felt frustrated, when I had still more to offer in other areas, such as strength, love, courage, artistic endeavor, companionship, music, freedom, and worship. I felt like I had crossed a threshold in the darkness. Taking my motto from the street workers who put up a sign saying "Dig We Must," I have begun the habit of saying "Struggle We Must" any time it's appropriate. And you know what, redtail? I've quickly discovered that EVERYONE struggles in one way or another.

I hope it won't offend you if I ask, why return anguish for your Dad's good-spirited appreciations for what you do for him? Will your grief and fear spill out into the records you are making of his wisdom?

It 's okay to grieve, of course, but it is also okay to rejoice in lives shared and struggles rewarded with joy.

I hope this is of some use to someone who reads it.

Blessings,
Jaye
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-06-2010), redtail (07-04-2010)