View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 08:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default confused

Forgive me for asking the question, I read the study, and couldn't really get to grips with it, am very tired right now..... Your reply below seems to indicate that there were patients who had transplants years ago, are no longer on ANY pd meds, still have dyskinesias after all that time......... from the rogue overproductive seratonin cells. I am not sure I understand this, surely the reason for having transplants such as these would have been to get rid of dyskinesias anyway, or reduce risk of getting them. So it was experimental........ but the very thing that puts people off taking our gold standard drug, the one that we are told to avoid, and these transplants produce the same things...... the dyskinesias we are told to anticipate and fear, and that we know have given some of the people we know and respect a very hard time.....

It's late here, and I AM tired, but surely there is a difference between the abnormal movement induced by levodopa fluctuation, and those created by these implants.......... they must have different causation, otherwise the whole dyskinesia/l-dopa theory is not what it seems at all.........

perhaps I am just confusing myself....... perhaps someone can come in blazing and put me right and I promise to behave, I do , I do, I do......

Lindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldeerster View Post
Paula:

All I know is that the lead investigator on the study said that they used buspar - that it was very effective but very short term. There was a suggestion that perhaps a "buspar ER" could be helpful long term. The other interesting news out of this study is that the patients they looked at who were transplanted 12-13 years ago or so, still had fully functioning dopamine neurons from the trransplant and did not have to take any Parkinsons meds at all. Their main issue was the dyskinesia. So it sounds like they're trying to reduce the rogue seretonin cells in the lab and then try the transplant technique again.
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote