View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Judy, mom is not so good. She went back to TN because she hated it up here. Since then she's suffered several seizures, is down to 101lbs and ornery as ever. I don't know how much more my sister can take trying to raise three kids, a husband and mom complaining all the time. She just isn't happy and her dementia is getting worse with each seizure. She swatted at my sister the other day and is on her constantly. I truly think it may be time to look into mom being in a more structured environment because she just cannot live with anyone.

She's always been independent and after all these years relying on others she still hasn't accepted her disability. The neuro is going to evaluate her next month for dementia, alzheimers and a possible medication link. She is not happy we asked about her having the testing. We need to know what we're dealing with in order to make a more informed decision. Personally? I think she simply needs a medication to calm her nerves. Everyday life is hard for her and if anything happens that isn't in the norm she freaks out for days. Her doctors all agree that she may need a structured environment where the schedule never changes. I hate this. I'll update more on that when I know something.

Jim is doing well and has lost a lot of weight. The neuro is concerned and said he cannot lose anymore. He is now down to 168lbs. He's eating so that's good. He was only 145lbs when I met him so who knows. I've been pushing vitamin enriched chocolate milk, puddings and fruit on him so he wont lose anymore. He eats one really good meal a day, always has, and nibbles throughout the day. But all his blood work is good, his heart is good, his liver is good, so they aren't too worried yet.

Most people who see him ask me if he OK because of the weight loss and I tell them as far as we know he is. Then they say how young and great he looks. Guess they want to be sure he isn't sick or something and throw in the "you look so good" comment first?

Glad your neuro is being proactive and your oncologist was on the ball about that med! Wow. Did you ask the neuro about trying zanax for your tremors? Or do they want to be sure it isn't related to the compression first?
NurseNancy (07-05-2010)