Old 07-04-2010, 09:14 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SCS for face pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntmarshmallow View Post
ems
Thanks for replying
can I ask if you had any other surgey before the stim?
and also would you share where your leads are ..mine is V-3 on my lower right.
I have found so many that are afraid of this surgery as they have been threw MVD and / or gamma and so with those things in their past this fills them with worry and fear but in all reality this is really nothing.. not nearly as evasive or difficult as and MVD or gamma. the fact one can try it before they implant fully is a plus.

you mentioned the worry of the unknown about the recovery... I have found that most others can hardly find info about this in general and so that is why I wanted to have a thread like this where info can be found... maybe you can share about recovery...
what was the most painful area after surgery for you??
mine was where the battery was placed. it "bothered" me more then where the leads were.
I had to wait 1 week before they turned it on ,did you have to wait?? how long??
I am sorry to hound you with a bunch of questions.. i know cus I have had mine since July of 2002..but for others the info and seeing what others have to say what others share is so very much needed and extremely helpful. God bless you for what your doing .I promise i wont bug ya with anymore questions ..we are so lucky and appreciate you sharing all that you have already . Thanks from the heart

PEACE
BMW...(Tina) .. and T-Rex
Tina,

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions. I wish I could have found some of these answers before my procedures. Most of my research was based on those who had back, leg and arm issues.

I did not have any surgeries prior to my stim implant. Since I have atypical face pain, surgery is not usually successful. They do not believe there is any physical reason for the pain. There is something in the brain that is miscommunicating and that is why anti-convulsant medications were helpful in reducing the pain -- but increasing the FOG!! I had several blocks to some nerves in my face and they did not help at all. I also had a radio frequency ablation (RF) to two nerves. The abalation to my mental nerve (near my lower lip) caused damage and much more pain.

My leads were placed at C6-C7, however the Boston Scientific rep thinks that the doctor may have put them even higher up in my spine than the entry point. He says it is rare to get coverage in the face from the spine, but I am thankful to be getting it.

My worst pain came from the incision where my battery was placed - just below my waistline. It took about two weeks for that pain to go away. I had to wear a cervical collar so that I would restrict my neck movements and help prevent the leads from movining. I still have some restrictions such as no lifting, pulling or pushing anything over 10 lbs for three months. I am also not be bend, twist or reach my hands over my head.

I was able to use the stim immediately after my surgery, however I was told to concentrate on healing the first couple days and since I slept most of the time, I guess I was successful at that. The rep gave me one program in my remote at my surgery and just this past week during my follow up visit, I was given two additional programs and some more training how I can make my own adjustments. The program from the day of surgery seems to be the best.

I could not have asked for a better surgery, recovery and result from this experience. I find that the positives of this treatment posted on the web are few and far between the negative. I am so glad to see you are trying to change that.
emsacco is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (07-04-2010), Mark56 (07-04-2010), Rrae (07-13-2010)