View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 10:03 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Be VERY careful on Lexapro - there have been some really nasty side effects (non-MG) associated with it. My sister was on it for several years, and she gained a LOT of weight. There have also been well-documented cases of Type II Diabetes associated with it as well.

However, I would talk to your neurologist to see if Lexapro can make the symptoms of MG worse - if there is the slightest chance that you may have MG, you probably will want to find a different medication to take. I would caution you against the class of medications that are given for Bipolar Disease, however. I am starting to suspect that my sister may have had undiagnosed MG - she had TERRIBLE problems when she started taking BPD medications in 2008, to the point that she literally could not walk more than a few steps without becoming severely out of breath. She also gained even more weight on those medications. Her inability to move caused her to develop blood clots, and she passed away due to a pulmonary embolism in December of 2008.

Her problems with breathlessness, heavy-feeling limbs, and other health issues got significantly worse when she started taking the Bipolar medications (she tried several, and they ALL caused those symptoms - they would go away when she stopped taking them, but her BPD symptoms would flare up again). Since she was so overweight, all of the doctors who saw her attributed her symptoms to her weight. Of course, MG is such a rare condition, there isn't any reason that a doctor would think to look at it as a cause for most people.

Have you talked to your doctor about a trial of Mestinon? If you have MG, it will help; if you don't, you will feel really BAD on the medication. About the ONLY people who can tolerate Mestinon are people who have MG.....
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote