View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 11:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey everyone,

Having been in hospital for the better part of last week, I just wanted to post an update on how everything went! I got injectable biphosphonates (and more specifically a med called Zometa) to bring my calcium levels down; this was then followed by injectable vitamin d2 (to the tune of 400.000 IU's). Following more testing it was revealed I had almost non-existent levels of IgG and IgM and combined with the malabsorption issues etc etc the docs felt this to be indicative of CVID (or common variable immunodeficiency).

So I was started on IVIG. Now we had tried IVIG in the past for my APS and it hadn't gone over well at all, so this time I got the lowest possible dose just for one day just so my body could get used to the drug. I still had some pretty wild reactions to it (angina being one of them and resulting in nitroglycerin sprays, running around of docs and general mayhem) but the docs feel the reactions will lessen as my body gets used to the immunoglobulins. I'm supposed to go back in 15 days for a slightly higher dose, followed by a slightly higher dose 15 days after that et cetera until we reach the normal dose for my weight and immune system issues. What I find amazing is that after only one dose of IVIG the oh so persistent diarrhea I've had for months now (sorry if that's TMI!) has stopped and the joints in my fingers are no longer hurting. The heart arrhythmias have also stopped due to the lower calcium levels and hopefully after vitamin d levels normalise with the shot the calcium levels will stabilise too! Oh! I also got b6/b12 shots in the hospital and an intravenous multivitamin drip.

Anyhow just wanted to update you all on how everything went and say thanks again for all your help with everything!!

Ziggy
Ziggy7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (07-04-2010)