View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 10:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Appalling Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongcamejones View Post
One day in the future people will look back like we look back to the early 20 century and shake their heads at current standards.

They dont even know the cause of PD. Maybe dopamine depletion is the result of PD not the other way around.

Jak
Aw, thanks for opening the door a little wider to facilitate discussion. Now that I understand that one of the things we're looking at with meds and levodopa is 50 years of stasis, I can say I am in full alignment with you there on our woeful current standards. Why push to produce better, more sophisticated treatments when we keep our business or research mojo going with the status quo. Monies will continue to pour into pipeline "developments" that never go anywhere, while patients get older, always focused on that ever elusive "cure". We all know that a cure is only in the patient's best interest. It's rather an easy, little status quo cycle to keep going.

Do you find it odd that your neuro would give you a possible PD diagnosis after just examining your MRI and a left hand tremor? I am just comparing to diagnostic standards here which are sorely lacking. I was pegged for six years with Essential Tremor as I didn't have much else going on. I thought that Neurologists usually required the presence of at least two cardinal signs of the disease, if not three these days. Aren't you wanting more evidence that this is indeed PD? In its early stages, PD looks like many other, more benign conditions, so I am really astounded that your neuro would leap to PD with only one symptom.

You must have pretty sophisicated MRI there. I am fascinated because I have never been convinced that my tremor is Parkinsonian as I have a family history of benign familial tremor. My MRI was simply studied to rule out atrophy and MS (no mylenation present). This is the first I have heard of a tremor being identified via MRi presence of infarcation. I do know that researchers do not even know for sure what pathophysiology is involved in PD tremor, so that is great they can tell you with some confidence that they can make some direct correlation.

Finally, what makes you think PD is autoimmune? Is this based on what you see in your work environment?

Just to clear things up.. I did not or do not judge anyone for whatever course of treatment or non-treatment they choose. I only sought some clarity as things seemed to be rather confrontational all the way round. I, for one, would love to have some regular contributors who are med free, i think it will make for some great points of comparison down the road.

Thanks for clarifying, Jak.
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote