Old 07-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart

this article
http://www.webmd.com/depression/feat...ts-weight-gain

explains that with SSRIs weight gain can happen with longterm use... which is why it doesn't show up in clinical trials (typically 12 weeks or less).

the stats it gives are about antidepressants in general though, and they are SO NOT created equal. TCAs (e.g. Elavil) are LIKELY to cause weight gain. SSRIs are not likely to but can. (granted, i was exaggerating about the asteroid. ) i understand that you're paranoid but most meds you've taken are really much more closely associated with weight gain, and more of it than this one is...

please, please, would you at least discuss these concerns with Dr. M. he has clinical experience with it and lots of women patients have these concerns regardless of health status ... my pdoc has told me has often had female patients refuse drugs because of possible weight issue... they are used to dealing with this. Dr. M knows your health status and that you can't play around with weight so please just talk to him. if he thinks it could affect you that way or even if he sees you are too afraid of it, maybe he will work with you on the wellbutrin... ask him why he won't raise it...

i am not trying to shove drugs down you you don't want, just balance out what seems like a very skewed perspective and also try to get you to keep Dr.M. involved in your choices.

i am sorry about your friend. i wonder if you can interpret her suggestion loosely and still follow it. i am sure she didn't mean rediscover the 7 wonders. maybe you could just do one new thing per week - simple things... stop and look at something you never looked at before. it can be a shop window or a window sill with flowers, or a cloud. stop for coffee at a different place than usual. new things are hard with GAD. it is not a bad suggestion but you have to tailor it to suit your needs, and if you don't come up with anything don't worry about it, just let it go.

i hope you can keep Luc. that is good you found an adoption place as a backup - does that take pressure off?

now that you have found the plan B, though, i would like to see you focus on keeping him... assume you are keeping him... prove by induction. (i know ... math is easier when it's just theoretical!)

love

~ waves ~