View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 08:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question PD, vascular parkinsonism or none + strange, vivid dreams

Hi everybody,

I have never posted here before. I do hope you would not mind me writing now since I am not a patient myself. My mum,58, was diagnosed 1,5 years ago and at that time I used to ask some questions at the other forum where I actually found your address. I have been more a lurker since then. Well, I do not really know where to begin, sorry … She still has a problem with the right diagnosis which means one neuro says it is PD, another one suggests – vascular parkinsonism and her GP is sure it is none. The whole thing began with high blood pressure history of several years. She has been on medication for a long time now, 1,5 years ago hand tremors at rest added suddenly, then consequently changing therapies in hope to slower the progression. Her neuro is desperate not being able to say what she has and not knowing how she can help her. The second time now she prescribed her Madopar, the first try was not successful since it did not change anything after two months taking the meds. It is looking quite similar now, not even a slightest change in several weeks. I spoke to my mum today and suddenly she began crying … she told me about those strange, vivid dreams she has every night now. She cannot do anything against, I mean I know we cannot manipulate our dreams, but every night she sees people who died years ago. She told me she is afraid to go to bed. I read somewhere the reason might be an overdose of medication or maybe it is some absolutely wrong medication? Does any of you have any experience with vascular parkinsonism? I read somewhere on the internet it requires some different treatment or ever no special treatment is available to help the patients. Besides, I read some time ago that levodopa treatment does not give any positive response in patients with vascular parkinsonism. If so, is Madopar the right med for her then?

I would greatly appreciate any advice or just a response.

Thanks a million!

Lara
larawa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote