Thread: Is PCS real?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 03:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default your on the right track

It was 8 days after I took a hit on the head before I experienced anything other than a headache, bruising and sorenesss. On the 9th day I awoke and sit down at the desk to start working only to find I was spelling everything wrong, unable to concentrate, experiencing jolts/shots of intense pain in my head. I thought it was the flu because I was also having dificulty with coordination and balance so I laid down for the rest of the day. The next morning I awoke to find I not only couldn't type but I couldn't write either. My letters were backwards or sometimes even a compleyely different letter. When people called I had to strain to understand what they were saying and the 10 minute drive to church had me in tears as I repeatedly found myself coming to stop because I had moved my foot off the accelerator. A CT and MRI found nothing. Take care of your son... try to find a neurologist that can do more than read back your image results and that will take the time to listen and research the symptoms and give you counsel...

I was informed that most PCS's go away within 3 months... I hope your son is better soon and I hope you can find a dr that will do more than tell you it's nothing... It's been 9 months and I have been told my physicians and friends alike that maybe it's in my head or the change... I know my body, s well as, you know your son. If something is not right trust your instincts and pursue knowledge about options but for the most part I think you just have to wait it out and not push your son and give his body time to rectify the problem. And if you are a believer pray cause as much as you need answers you'll also need patience as there is no way to hurry the healing up.

Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by t97tab View Post
My 13 year old son suffered a back injury on May 1. Nine days later, after the back injury was resolved, he started displaying concussion symptoms...agonizing headache, memory loss of the event, vision disturbances, extreme vertigo. I witnessed the injury and saw the force with which his head hit the turf. It was a whiplash type event. Thus, I have no doubt that he suffered a concussion.

Today, we went to a new neurologist who conducted a few physical tests i.e. reflexes. He then stated that "it was all in my son's head" and that he had not suffered a concussion! He could not explain the symptoms and stated that the physical symptoms were manifestations of some psychological stress. He even suggested that it was a result of some past abuse. Believe me, my son has never been abused.

I am frustrated to the point of tears. When I stated that I had read that concussion symptoms can appear days/weeks after the injury, he denied it. He did order an MRI but stated that he was sure nothing would show on it.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Is it possible that the neurologist is simply incompetent in the area of concussion or should I be giving merit to what he is saying? Can PCS appear 9 days after an injury to the head.
Help!
lennynsherry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote