Thread: Is PCS real?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 12:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
You mentioned martial arts. Have you done sparing where you get hit in the head, even if while wearing head gear?
This can set your brain up to be overly sensitive to the knock out blow you took. It is knwo by some that sub-concussive impact can cause brain injuries, especially when there are many with concentrations of these sub-concussive impacts during practice sessions.
Just soft-style forms (mostly tai-chi), and no full-contact or full-force sparring. I've had knocks in the head (not martial arts) but no more than a 20-30 seconds LOC (that was once; I was about 10 years old). The most recent hit (before the BIG one) was about 10 years ago and resulted in 1-2 seconds LOC. I can probably count on one hand, maybe two, how many times I've had any significant knocks to my head.

Edit: Based on my understanding of physics, I'm lucky to be alive after the BIG one. I don't think sensitization was a factor. Based on what I deciphered from the bruising and cuts (a: I know my own body pretty well and b: I used to be an emergency medical technician) it was a solid hit against a tile/concrete floor.

Last edited by imnotcrazy; 07-06-2010 at 03:21 AM.
imnotcrazy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote