Thread: Is PCS real?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 01:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
The 30 sec LOC at 10 yo was a very significant impact. Even the 1-2 sec LOC is significant.
I really don't know how long I was out, that first time. Long enough for a small crowd to gather, not long enough for anyone to do anything. Based on the circumstances, my guess would be 15-30 seconds. I spent a few days laying in bed, eating soup, and then I was back to normal.

The one about ten years ago, I went over the bars on a bicycle. I woke up laying on my back, in the middle of the street, but the bicycle was still in the air and I had enough sense and time to kick it away from me; otherwise it would have landed on top of me. I couldn't have been out for long but there was definitely a sense of lost time and "where am I? How did I get here?" feeling.

I think I may have had another brief(?) LOC falling out of a tree when I was a kid.

The first time and the last time where the only ones that left me with any fatigue, dizziness, headaches or any other symptoms I would typically associate with a concussion.

Oh man... There was also the time I fell asleep at the wheel and split a utility pole with my VW rabbit. I was young and I didn't realize that driving while tired is just as bad as driving while drunk. That may have rattled my brain...?

Quote:
LOC elevates any concussion to a serious level. Your comment about any 'significant knocks to the head' is interesting. Your brain does not need a significant knock to the head to be concussed based on your history.
Well, the most recent knock was significant by any account.

Almost 20 years ago I got into a fight at school. I let the other guy get the first punch before I kicked his @$$ (The rules of engagement on school property encouraged me to not throw the first punch). His first shot was pretty good; His class-ring against my left eye. I saw stars and had a helluva lump, but otherwise no damage that I noticed. Several people commented that they heard the sound of how hard I got hit and they were impressed that it didn't fall down from it. That was the last time anyone at school picked on me

I should mention that the neurologist I was sent to, who I have no respect for, made it clear that these types of prior incidents have no bearing on my current "alleged" symptoms.

Quote:
Have you ever had a light bump to the head where you had a metallic taste (like chewing aluminum foil) in your mouth or you say spots for a few seconds?
I don't recall any metallic tastes. After getting punched in the eye I'd say I saw stars. Haha... then I got my bearings, and I just remembered the look on the other kid's face... He looked terrified that I was still standing.

Quote:
At this point, you will need to get to know your 'new' body/brain. Your prior physical capabilities have little bearing on your current condition.
If that's the case, I also have to convince ACC.

Quote:
List your most disturbing symptoms so we can offer suggestions for work-arounds and other accommodations.
* If I take it easy, I'm sleeping about 50% of the time - 12 hours out of 24
* Memory, focus, concentration, reading comprehension are all crap. This puts a damper on my career with computer stuff
* Balance is a huge problem. Walking is a challenge
* Headaches. For both practical and ideological reasons I don't do painkillers
imnotcrazy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote