Thread: Is PCS real?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

not crazy,

Not attempting to relive your head aches could be making things worse. You need to get some relief. I just use Tylenol and aspirin. I do not use any of the stronger meds. If you state your refusal to use meds to a doctor, that can go against you. keep these comments to yourself.

You definitely qualify as Multiple Concussion Syndrome. Do some online research and take a few peer reviewed article to the next doctor you see.

You found a doc who does not believe in persistent PCS. That is not uncommon.

Write down your history of concussion/head impacts with your immediate symptoms and recover timelines. You may or may not have lost consciousness. You may just have experienced PTA, Post Traumatic Amnesia. It is more common that LOC. You can experience PTA without LOC. Some docs do not believe a concussion happens unless you have LOC.

LOC does not make much difference anyway. You treat the symptoms, not the event. I have not had LOC since 1965 at 10 years old. But my minor concussions since then have devastated me. My personality has changed. My IQ is still very high but my memory and cognitive skills are very low.

You need a neuro-psychological assessment. It is the long evaluation. Can be 2 hours to two days, depending on the battery of tests used.

Limit your time on the computer. Take frequent breaks. Watch for mental fatigue and get up and walk away as soon as you notice any fatigue.

I find myself rereading the same line or staring blankly for a moment. This is a sure sign to stop and do something else.

My memory is so bad that I have learned to use the computer screen as short term memory. I can reread what I have typed to keep track of my thoughts.

Did you read the nutrition posts? This is very valuable for a healing brain.

btw, I use frequent paragraph spaces so that i can follow the text from line to line. More than 5 or 6 lines and my eyes can not follow to the start of the next line. Work at learning these kind of skills and accommodations. I depend on spell checker. Firefox has spellchecker that works within online forms like this post.

Do not try to be proud. Humble yourself and let your life happen. You can always get stronger later, but fighting your symptoms only makes them worse.

You sound like you are in your 40's. This is a common time for past concussions to catch up with you. The brain starts deteriorating and the past damage starts to rise to the top. Welcome to middle age.

I'll try to send you the TBI Survival Guide doc file. It is very good. So is the file at http://www.lapublishing.com/blog/wp-...al_English.pdf

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote