View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 07:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Don't discard ALL medical advice!

I know many of you have been given bad information or a doctor has prescribed a medication for you that had horrible side effects. This is why WE MUST BECOME OUR OWN ADVOCATE! But don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

There are some wonderful neurologists - and some are painfully honest. Mine is such an example. He tells me "We don't know if or why this med wowrks, so we will give it a try and see what happens." Then the ball is in my park. As patientss (or unwilling victims with Parkinson's), we are at the mercy of what the FDA approves (in the U.S.) and what our doctors prescribe. The rest is up to us to educate ourselves on interactions, side effects, and availability.

The internet provides such access to resources at our fingertips, BUT BEWARE! They (marketing) are out to take you and your money - it's called "Phishing." Sometimes they gain access through your email - those are easy to spot. But maybe I'm just stupid, but this one on stem cells had me going. But once again the old adage proved true: IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE - IT PROBABLY IS."

PS - Science "proves" nothing - it just shows efficacy or consistent replication of a theory..

Last edited by pegleg; 07-07-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: addendum
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote