View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

http://abbottnutrition.com/Products/jevity-1_5-cal

This is awful stuff. I know, he needs something to keep him alive!! But look at the crap in it. It has milk and soy, both of which are inflammatory foods. I wish they would start using rice protein. Maybe they have a mixture like that for people who have celiac disease. I would ask. With all the stuff they put into that formulation, you'd think a little acidophilus would be a no-brainer.

Insist that your Dad get B12 injections. Look into sublingual B12 after he gets better. A body can't heal well without B12. There is 2.2 mcg. of B12 in the Jevity but that is a ridiculously small amount. They have mega sodium in it too. www.iherb.com has a really good sublingual B12 called Jarrow (the brand name). It comes in 5 mg. (5000 mcg.). I take two a day.

Is your Dad a normally anxious person? I doubt it. What they do in hospitals, especially when someone is intubated, is to sedate them so they won't be a problem for THEM! It's so they don't have to be going into the room all the time. It's horrid. They did that to my Dad too. Ativan and Zanax will both make MG worse when someone who has MG is not doing well. And it particularly affects breathing! That icon is for the doctors. And then you mix in a pain med which makes it that much worse.

They may also have to do more antibiotics. The problem is that when you are on immunosuppressants and you have too many antibiotics without things like acidophilus, you can get clostridium difficile. It's an opportunistic little bacillus in the GI tract that is a horrid infection. I've had it, not fun. So be on the lookout for - and I know this is gross - yellow puffy or runny stools. But that's life when someone you love is sick and in the hospital.

And if they haven't fully assessed the back pain, make sure they do that after he gets better. It could be from the Pred, which can cause brittle bones. He may need to be on lots of calcium and vitamin D plus some flax or fish oil. Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory but it's also known as an anti-prostaglandin. We need "good" prostaglandins like those found in nuts and oils, especially when someone is on Pred.

I forgot something. In MG, when muscles get weak, they can cramp and spasm pretty badly. It could be that your Dad's back is one big knot that needs working on by PT. They must have PT in a hospital setting!!! Kidding, I know they do. PT is hard to do while someone is intubated but if they do work out those kinks, his back won't get better - if that's what's going on. I actually "look" for those little areas every day and massage them. It works wonders.

I hope they can find a regimen that will work for your Dad. Ask lots of questions and keep asking them. It may tick of a couple of doctors but it will help your Dad, which is all that matters.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote