View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Illana,

An apicoectomy has no long term purpose. It is a painful and invasive oral surgery procedure that does not take care of the infection because the tooth is what is causing the infection. So long as the tooth is present, the infection will be present. Dental implants have a high success rate when replacing a non infected tooth... a moderate success rate when they are replacing a root canaled tooth..... and a low long term success rate when replacing a root canaled tooth that has also had an apico. It all has to do with the pathology of the chronic infection in the tooth that has spread to the jawbone which was then surgerized (apico) without removing the source of the infection... the tooth.

Your instinct is your best judge.......

Bryanna
Thank you Bryanna! I went with the extraction! I was petrified that something else would go wrong, but so far so good- knock on wood. I do think I will try to get an implant in this area in the future. I did agree that the apico would probably only buy me some time but would probably fail at some point in the future. So far I don't regreat pulling this tooth out. You have great advice!!!! Thank you!
Illana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote