View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi.

I know exactly what you are talking about because I read that years ago (about being sensitive to heat).

But I also have TMJ (clicking popping), and the feeling of an ice-pick being driven in my ear (haven't had that in a while) but I'll NEVER forget that. I think I've experienced that 3 or 4 times in about 15 years.

I have my mouth open for something or other, I close my mouth, my joint on the right side of my face is sore and at the same time I close my mouth I get that HORRIBLE ice-pick being driven in my ear. It feels wet.

Haven't had this happen in a LONG time.

My primary care doc told me "your dentist will take an x-ray of your TMJ" .

I know he's taking x-rays of my mouth after I get my cleaning. I didn't know they take x-rays of the TMJ.

Today (and I'm not on anything right now), I feel much better. It's like a cloud has been lifted off of my head.

It's also 15 degrees cooler than it was yesterday and the previous days.

We had a bad heat wave.

I wish I was not a dental phobic. That's the one thing in my life I wish I could change.

Fear rules me. Fear of the dentist.

The fear and anticipation is worse than the visit.

Phobias are horrible.

I could go for blood tests, I could go for injections on my body. In fact a long time ago I had a bad left shoulder. The doctor told me "melody I'm giving you a cortisone shot and you'll be able to move your shoulder and left arm much better, but just hold still, I'll be careful not to hurt you".

Alan was with me.

I said to my doctor "just shoot me, I'm okay" He was holding this 8 inch needle in his hand and was about to inject me (into wherever they inject you in the shoulder). I laughed when I saw the needle.

The doctor looked at me and said "How the hell can you laugh, people go crazy when they see this needle".

I said "you don't understand, I'm a dental phobic, I don't care if you go anyplace else".

He injected me, I didn't move, I didn't care, I was just fine.

He said: "I have NEVER seen anyone take an injection like you".

I said "Now if I could only go to the dentist and act like this".

It's a real shame that at my age, I still have this phobia.

And I have a GOOD phobia dentist.

Want to hear something really strange?

When I had my gallbladder surgery, (the first one), I had continued to bleed internally. As they began to roll me back into the operating room 2 days after the first surgery, I was left alone for 5 minutes right outside of the operating room.

Want to know what I said out loud: "well, Melody, at least they are not going into your mouth".

Can you imagine??

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote