View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

It all depends on what is causing it.
Dietary triggers are common. Potatoes trigger burning for me. Heavy tomato sauces too. (these are nightshade vegetables and hard to tolerate for some).
Gluten can be trigger. If it turns out to be a trigger for you, going gluten free can stop the PN completely--depending on how successful you are with the diet.

Spicey foods? MSG? all make PN worse IMO.

Toxins, and drugs are another matter. Some people recover from toxic assaults and others do not.

Autoimmune issues can be controlled. But reversal is not common.

Hereditary issues, genetic failures, are not typically recoverable.

Living a cleaner life, eating more whole foods, staying away from processed junk foods, and using some supplements to support the nerves may allow for significant healing.

Alot depends on you, how accurate your diagnosis is, and how you handle your days. Most of the posters here have gotten better and moved on. There are some who are not helped, and those may have vascular damage, or severe cell death, before interventions were started. PN is very complex and sneaky. But keeping positive is a important part, as well as being an active patient, keeping up on new developments, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
I took 400 mg of magnesium citrate last night before bed. It was all I had in the house, so I thought I would give it a try. I avoided having any cramps throughout the night, but my tingling symptoms are progressing rapidly.

mrsD, this is my second day with the diagnosis and I can see that I have a lot of research yet to do, but put me in the ballpark here. Is small fiber neuropathy best described as "progressive," "degenerative," and/or "ultimately fatal"? I understand that I will have pain, numbness and tingling, and that this will cause impaired function, but am I liable to lose function entirely of any or all of the affected areas (hands, feet, etc.)? How fast do things normally progress? I have idiopathic small fiber neuropathy. My symptoms seem to be getting worse by the hour.

Thanks.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-09-2010)