View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 01:18 AM

Location: Maryland, South/Western Shore Chesapeake Bay, "God's Country"
10 yr Member

Location: Maryland, South/Western Shore Chesapeake Bay, "God's Country"
10 yr Member
Default Is PN Fatal?

You raised this question in your 1st plea to us and no one has answered it yet. I can't leave it open any longer....I'm new here and still learning about neuropathy even tho' I've had it 11 years. But this forum has so much knowledge that I want to see what others know or have to say on this hard part of our subject.

As my older neighbor friend used to say "It doesn't kill you but just makes you wish you were dead!" We used to say that about our arthritis....so far, what I have learned is that the sensory PN I have won't kill me. But I could develop autonomic PN at any time and that is dealing with the nerves that operate our inner body organs. Now a lot of people live with this all the time because there are ways to manage this except for only a couple of organs. If your lungs are involved, then you have a bad problem and could die. I've heard of a case of this and I guess is the same for the heart but have not heard of this. The rest don't seem to shut down completely but others may add more to that....

I don't want to dwell on this but can't leave it out--what % PN patients committ suicide because they can't stand the chronic pain and don't/can't get sufficient pain relief?

What I have to work on is what causes my PN---glucose problem, have to keep control on that because complications from diabetes, heart problems could eventually get to me. I recently had a bunch of heart tests because my routine EKG was done, had been 18 yrs. Something looked a little off. My heart is in tip-top shape, that is what my "normal" EKG looks like. Now I have to remember that! (But I am so relieved and happy, walking 1 mile does pay off and not even so much, average 1-2 times a week!) I also take a statin low dose, cholesterol is genetic.
dany is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-11-2010)