View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkikta View Post
Approaching 10 years on Avonex. No exacerbations! It works very well for me. Looking back I was having an exacerbation every 3 - 4 years before.
If you have RRMS, then you have probably passed through the inflammatory phase, which my neuro told me is the natural progression of the disease.

I was diagnosed more than 34 years ago, and initially I was having at least two acute exacerbations every year. Gradually that settled down to annual/biannual, then 3-5 yearly.

Now I get mostly pseudo flairs and I believe that's because of the length of time I've been diagnosed.

In nearly 35 years, I've had flairs that have affected almost every part of my body, so any exacerbation now is classed as a pseudo-exacerbation and not a true flair, unless of course it affects some part of me that's never been affected before (and there aren't many of those places left now).

I personally don't believe DMDs work unless you count the placebo affect, and studies have shown placebos to be extremely effective in the treatment of many medical conditions, including MS. You only have to look at the control group in the trial of any medication to substantiate that.

My MRIs have changed over the years in the same ways as others here who medicate have described. Some lesions have grown and some have shrunk. Some are new, some old ones less visible, and I don't take DMDs. I tried the Interferons and I was allergic to them. 20 years later I tried Copaxone and I was allergic to that, so for over 34 years I've plodded along without partaking of any of the MS drugs.

When symptoms get the most of me I will take cortisone, but only if I have to. Most of the time I sit back and wait for the symptoms to settle on their own ... and they always do.

So, for those who believe their medications are helping, I truly am happy for you. I just happen to believe that DMDs for MS don't work, and that any apparent improvement for those using them is simply the natural progression of the disease.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
azoyizes (07-21-2010), dmplaura (07-12-2010), Kitty (07-11-2010), SallyC (07-11-2010), Snoopy (07-11-2010)