View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 08:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default we did it

We began using a nicotine patch early on, because of articles we read indicating it may help. It did. It helped with mood, constipation (later on), smoothness, etc. Since we started using it pretty much right after dx, we can't say it helped with balance or gait because we didn't have those symptoms early on.

Now, however, after about four years of using the nicotine patch, we had to quit. We noticed, and this is our experience, that when it wore off, it dropped my husband pretty hard and made his "offs" much harder. It's hard to explain, but now that we don't use it, his on/off is smoother. But for a few years there, it really helped.

If he puts a patch on now, like if he has a meeting, he'll get about 15 minutes of good time, then crashes. It used to make his day smoother, but not any more. I hope this helps. And no, he never smoked a day in his life.

FYI: the patch can be a nasty thing. When you first put it on, you can become very nauseous and dizzy....my husband would put on the patch, then have to lie down for five or so minutes because of this. I tried half a patch one day to see what he was talking about (I really wanted to see if it was the PD or the patch that caused this) and boy, within minutes I got so sick I thought I was going to puke but was so dizzy I couldn't get to the toilet! I ripped the patch off (I actually only put half of one on, thank heavens) and was OK in about fifteen minutes. But it was really scary. If your wife wants to try the nicotine patch, be sure she does so at home, in a safe (no stairs, slippery rugs, etc.) place.

Also FYI: we started with the 14mg patch and stayed there pretty much. We tried going to the 21mg but it was too much. Be sure to take the thing off a few hours before bedtime or your wife will be up all night.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote