View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Metabolic origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
While I appreciate the post here, I do wonder why they keep recycling things as if they are new discoveries. ALL of this information was previously published years, yes years, ago, in an article by a mayo clinic doc (can't remember his name and don't have the article) called "Beating a Dead Horse".

The article was basically saying that dopamine is NOT all there is to PD, and researchers need to recognize that and start looking at the other things that manifest years, often decades, before motor symptoms appear. It was a fabulous article and the only one our neuro has ever given to us (I guess we're on about a 50:1 ratio, for every 50 or so articles we give him, we get one!). But it was good, and said all the things this article says.

Sorry to poo-poo this, it's just that the article our neuro gave us was written in 2007, three years ago....now here's the same information and what has been done with this information/"discovery" during those three years? No wonder things take so doggone long, it's so frustrating.
Lurking,

No need to apologize! This is one of my criticisms of the PD "machine" that we end up in. I hate to say it, but clearly research and the field of neurology seems rather to be running in place; they do not want to move forward. Only they don't lose time, like we do.

Glad you brought this up, as I have noted a few popular "scientific" site recycle old clinical articles as "news". Unfortunately, when they do this they shape public perception that "so much research is being done surely there will be a cure". Though in end that has opposite effect, people think all will be cured if only enough money is thrown at it. Truth is it only takes one real, outside the box find to make a difference and it could even be just a thought that causes a major shift that sets us on the right course.

As for a few of us out here, we are experiencing some very bizarre and troubling issues with what I think is thyroid based, so of course, now I wonder if a major part is our endocrine system?

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote