Thread: Help please
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Call your doctor's office AND your insurance office, and tell them that if you die while waiting for an authorization, your family will sue them for everything they have.....

Seriously, call your doctor's office, find out who you need to talk to at the insurance company, then call that person and talk to them personally. Explain to them what is going on, and tell them that if it isn't taken care of sooner rather than later that things can get really bad really fast. Ask if they can do an emergency authorization so that you can get in to see your doctor ASAP. Time truly is of the essence in your case.

If necessary, ask to speak to the insurance person's supervisor, and THEIR supervisor, etc., until you get to someone who is willing to help you. This isn't something to mess around with, especially since you are close to an MG crisis. It will cost the insurance company a whole lot less if you are able to get this treated NOW, rather than having to be admitted into the hospital.....

And if you aren't getting enough answers from this neurologist, FIND ANOTHER ONE! You are young, and I remember at your age not wanting to be much of a bother, and thinking that doctors knew everything. The truth of the matter is that doctors are human, too. And if you don't find a doctor that you are comfortable with, who will listen to you, and who is willing to work WITH you rather than dictate TO you, then you will not be willing to contact them when you KNOW something is wrong. That can be fatal.

I don't want to scare you, but it is SO VERY IMPORTANT to understand that you are the CONSUMER - you are paying for the doctor's services, and right now the health care industry is still a free market system. You are the one who decides who gets your money. Are you willing to just "settle" for a cell-phone provider, or do you do your research and find the plan that best meets your needs? Be just as diligent in your search for a doctor to help you with your MG issues - it can literally mean the difference between life and death!

I have a daughter your age, and I would give her the very same advice. You have the rest of your life ahead of you, and the sooner you are diagnosed, the earlier you can start treatment (and the better your chances of keeping this from getting even worse). If you and/or your husband can't convince the doctors/insurance company to move quickly, then put your momma on the case. If your mom is anything like me (and every other mom I know), things will get done IN A HURRY - you don't mess with a momma when her baby is in crisis!
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (07-13-2010)