View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Annie, the test for Celiac looks for an antibody reaction in the blood and/or skin - taking an immunosuppresant shouldn't have ANY effect on the results. While Prednisone might help the SYMPTOMS of Celiac, it won't cure the underlying CAUSE of Celiac, which is an intolerance to Gluten. The only currently known "cure" for Celiac Disease is a completely gluten-free diet. That is the ONLY thing that will allow the intestinal lining to heal - even Prednisone won't help that.

The fact of the matter is that if a person has one auto-immune disease - which MG is - they are MUCH more likely to develop another one. It is now becoming more apparent to many Celiac researchers that if a person has one AI disease, they should be tested for Celiac Disease as a matter of course. Unfortunately, this information hasn't been disseminated very well across the medical field - and some doctors aren't willing to hear the information, because they are convinced that they KNOW what they KNOW, and nobody else knows better than they do....

Personally, I would recommend that EVERY MG patient be screened for CD and monitored for it on a regular basis after that, as gluten's effects are CUMULATIVE. From what I have read in my personal research since my daughter's (and my) CD diagnosis 2 years ago, I would even venture so far as to recommend that most people with MG and other AI conditions would benefit from a GF diet, but I am not a medical expert.

However, knowing that LONG before a person is diagnosed with CD they have intestinal damage that can cause malabsorption of nutrients and medications makes me think that a GF diet - which will heal the intestinal lining - would be a logical addition to any MG patient's treatment regimen. Again, that's just me.....

As for "developing" Celiac Disease, for many people a traumatic event can trigger it. Lord knows, MG is a trauma to the system! The fact is that I developed my last large rash not long after my dad had a heart attack; however, once I realized what it was (3 YEARS later - after my daughter was diagnosed with CD), I also realized that I had probably had Celiac Disease for most of my life. I would occasionally have rashes similar to the last one that I had that would crop up, and it would take MONTHS for them to go away.

There is a genetic test that can be done to see if someone carries one of the two genes that are seen in 95% of the people who develop CD, but 40% of the population carries those genes. And there are still people who develop CD who have neither one of those genes, so it isn't 100% accurate. That particular test would also not be affected by taking a particular medication.

No, a GF diet isn't a "picnic", but speaking for myself, I felt so GOOD on a GF diet, that there is absolutely NO WAY that I will ever knowingly eat gluten again. And when I DO accidentally get hold of it, I can tell - I even start to get sores on my skin again. Thankfully, the GF segment of the food industry is the fastest-growing market, because so many more doctors are becoming aware of how very common CD is (1-in-133 people), and they are also becoming more aware of something called Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS), which is even MORE common than CD.

Many restaurants are starting to have dedicated GF menus available in-store because the CD/Gluten Awareness groups have made it their mission to educate the restaurant industry of this very real health issue that isn't going to go away. It has been much easier to find foods both in the grocery store and at restaurants over the past few months because of these educational efforts, and I anticipate this becoming even better in the future!
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Maxwell'sMom (07-13-2010)