View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 08:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlindeb25 View Post
Ok, I feel like I am lost in space here. Please explain to me why you are using the Alka-Seltzer in the first place. I want to understand. Mrs. D, are you saying it could help we celiac's with digestion? Sorry if I am in duhs-ville, I am not understanding this.

Thanks!
Alka Seltzer is a powerful pain killer. The active pain relieving ingredient is aspirin. Aspirin works similar to and through the same biochemical mechanisms as Ibuprofen (Motrin, Excedrin, or Advil) and Naproxen Sodium (Aleve). With two Alka Seltzer tablets, you get the full adult dose of aspirin, pre-dissolved for very quick absorption, and buffered to reduce stress to the stomach and/or intestine. Two Alka Seltzers works better for me than even Vicodin to reduce or eliminate PN pain, muscle and joint aches, or headaches (rare for me) so that I can fall asleep. Secondly, most of us are too acid for optimal health and nerve function. The buffers in Alka Seltzer help make us very slightly less acid and more basic.

There are several downsides to aspirin and Alka Seltzer. 1) The action of any anti-inflammatory analgesic slows down or stops long term cartilage repair even though it reduces inflammation. You really shouldn’t take these analgesics all day and every day. 2) All of the anti-inflammatory analgesics interfere with platelet action, making wounds bleed a lot and a long time. 3) All drugs are hard on the liver. 4) Aspirin and other anti-inflammatory analgesics can cause serious stomach or intestinal bleeding. According to MrsD (and she is very knowledgeable), Alka Seltzer doesn't stress the stomach or intestine because of the quick absorption and the buffering. 5) The pain relieving action of Alka Seltzer, while powerful, is relatively short lived. It's fine for helping reduce pain and relaxing you so that you can fall asleep, but only lasts a few hours. That's compared to Aleve which lasts 12 hours.

Who isn't lost in space? Anybody who thinks they aren't is delusional, i.e. they're lost in space. Anybody who knows they are lost in space but acts like they're not is faking it. Fakes don't know who they are or what's important in life (integrity), i.e. they're lost in space.

You might feel like you're lost in space, but not quite getting the full context of a discussion you join that's been going on for years is not being lost in space. All it takes is one question and a lucid answer (which I may or may not have provided) to make the context clear.

P.S. I don't think Alka Seltzer will help people with celiac disease. It just wouldn't be as devastating to your poor irritated GI track as other analgesics would. On the other had, it may be something you could safely take for short term pain relief. It would be worth exploring on the celiac board. http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/fo...sprune=-1&f=13

Last edited by Wing42; 02-05-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Wing42 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote