View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 09:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Looking for some info!

Hi all. Let me start by saying I'm new to the whole forum scene of any kind, but I need some help.

Let's start with the history...

My husband had a fall from his flatbed trailer back in Oct/09. We know in hindsight he blacked out, but can't be sure for how long. He suffered numerous injuries to the right side of his body, and a brain injury that wasn't diagnosed until a week after the fall. The hospital in the States never even considered a brain injury because he had told them he didn't think he hit his head. They blamed his vomitting, dizziness and vision problems to the cocktail of painkillers he was on.

So here we are 9 months later and some of the symptoms have disappeared. He still has balance problems, episodes of blurred vision, uncontrollable shaking in his legs and hands. He has great difficulty with word recall, remembering names, loses his place in conversations, and sometimes stutters. At times carrying on a conversation is nearly impossible, other times you'd hardly tell he had any problems. He has episodes of not recognizing people he's known for years, fatigues easily, and has great difficulty doing simple tasks. It's a challenge remembering where he's placed an item, or what he was looking for. For him a good day is being able to mow the lawn, a bad day involves him staying in bed in a dark room, because external stimuli is just too difficult to process.

Being a man that was self employed, always on the go, and always providing for his family, it's been extremely tough for him accepting he can't do that right now. The doctor put him on an antidepressant to help him deal with the anxiety because of it.

He just had an appontiment with the doctor today, that has totally upset him and irritated me. The doctor suggested that if the brain injury was causing these symptoms he wouldn't be having any good days. (I personally don't consider being able to maintain a simple conversation, or mow the lawn a truly good day. Yet I celebrate those victories with him, because that's what they are to him. ) The doctor then suggested that all his problems are caused by his anxiety/depression, and gave him a second antidepressant. This has only increased his anxiety, and now has him blaming himself.

So here's my question...Is it possible for someone who has has a brain injury to have good days and bad days, or to see the severity of symptoms vary?

And if you've read this far, I thank you!
mrsbigblupete is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote