View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 07:38 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Tucson Grandma, I agree with the others that you might want to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. I never did because I trusted my Neurosurgeon and knew his credentials. Anyway, I am also 53 and have had two cervical fusions two years apart. Yes, I sometimes have residual pain. But what you need to understand is the goal is not to be rid of a pain. The goal is to STABILIZE your spine. A good surgeon will tell you that pain relief is an added benefit. I went back to my own Neurosurgeon many times before my first surgery as I kept having questions. In any case, if you are having numbness, that is a sure fire sign that a nerve and/or your spinal cord is being compressed. And yes, you can have stenosis at several levels. Chances are you have several joints that are arthritic. Mind over matter will not help this nor will supplements. You could try injections and even PT or traction. But be careful! Traction actually made me worse. Then again, I am not so sure an injection or several would even help at this point considering the numbness. I should have clarified also. I went through 3 years of conservative treatment until it couldn't be helped anymore. So, it is not necessarily true that the docs are just out for money. And it is not necessarily true that another level will herniate or blow out simply because you have had other fusions. It IS true that the levels above and below take on the load. I have one disc sandwiched between my two fusions but there is no sign of it herniating or even breaking down. Again, the goal is STABILITY and to stop any neurological deficits from progressing. You don't want to lose the use of your arms as an example. Last but not least and as my pain management doctor always says, the cervical spine is a far cry from the lumbar and a totally different ballgame. I think I would heed your NS's advice or get other opinions. But there is something definitely going on that needs to be addressed. And you will lead a different lifestyle. Once you have this done there is no going back. For myself, I know what activities can trigger some pain and I try to be careful about what I do. Oh, and you will need at least 6 months to a year before it fully fuses. Since he wants to do several levels I would ask about a bone growth stimulator. They work!! Good luck!
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (02-06-2013)