Thread: Advice Please
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

tnalawson, is your husband CURRENTLY on a GF diet? If not, PLEASE start him on it TODAY!!! Once a person is diagnosed with CD, they MUST continue to follow a GF diet for the rest of their life. Some doctors still don't understand that concept, and some patients think that once they start feeling better, they can start eating food with gluten in it again.

The damage that is caused by just one grain of gluten in the system of a person with CD cannot be overstated. If a person's intestinal tract is compromised, they WILL NOT get all of the vitamins/minerals that are so essential to keeping their body running, and their body WILL pull those nutrients from wherever it can find it. That can lead to some very nasty health issues - some of which can be reversed, but just as many that can't!

If this is stuff that you already know, please excuse my interference; it's just that my daughter and I were diagnosed with CD 2 years ago, and I have done a lot of research on the subject (my daughter has Down syndrome, so I have to be the knowledgeable one.....). Sometimes people already know this information, but I'd rather err on the side of caution!

As far as the insurance stuff, have his doctor send the same strongly-worded note to them; I am sure that they have to make sure that he isn't faking it - they probably have had any number of people in the past who fraudulently claimed to be unable to work longterm when there was nothing preventing them from returning to work after they healed. Obviously, that isn't the case with your husband, but the insurance company has to verify that.

Since he has a definite diagnosis, perhaps you could speed things along by sending them a copy of his test results, along with a copy of information (preferably from an MG organization) about what MG is and how it can affect people. It certainly can't hurt.....
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote