View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 04:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Re: Ice as a regular treatment with CRPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12 View Post
Hi from another (single) mom in pain.
First off I think its best to be as honest as age-appropriately possible with your child(ren). It's so important for them to realize this problem has nothing to do with them. Thank goodness they are there to remind us of what's important and to put a smile on our face!
Now... to what helps me! I guess I'm different from most everyone else w/ RSD, but the only thing that really helps me (besides meds) are ice packs.
I put them on my lower back (most likely the source of my RSD),and what ever area is flaring up at the time. I usually have 3 on me at all times (shoulders, legs, even feet!). Heat only helps when I'm having mega-back spasms! Unfortunately, it's harder too keep ice packs frozen in the real world than it is to keep heating pads/ hotpads hot.
I have found bed rest, massage,whirlpools & stretching to be helpful.
Also, as strange as it may seem, sometime I ask my son to tickle my feet or arms when they hurt badly. The change in external stimuli really helps (one dr. thinks this is why ice helps me!).I think you're quite smart in getting as much info early on & finding out what works for you.
Just be careful about the constant use of ice. After my shoulder surgery, the only thing that would help my arm was ice packs and I used them constantly at home and while at work, round the clock becuase they were the only thing that gave me relief. From back injury rehab therapy I know that when you ice something, the cold impulses and pain impulses compete with each other when traveling to the brain up the spinal cord -so ice decreases the amt of pain felt. I thought the same applied with my pain after shoulder surgery.
I don't know if that was what triggered my CRPS or if it made it worse than it would have been without constant icing. Since then I've read that it can exacerbate CRPS or cause it. I've found that info in several places including Dr Hooshman who specializes in CRPS. I've pasted what he said and the source of the quote here.

Excerpt: Abstract. Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) is usually caused by a minor injury, and requires proper evaluation and multi-disciplinary treatment addressing the multifaceted pathological processes that evolve during its chronic course. Patient’s age, the nature of pathology, and mode of therapy influence the outcome of treatment. If at all possible, surgery, ice and cast applications should be avoided. There is a desperate need for research in proper management of CRPS.
http://www.rsdrx.com/Spread%20of%20CRPS.pdf
pacugirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluekrikit (12-27-2015), loretta (09-19-2010), Sandel (09-12-2010)